Epidemiological Study (case-control study)
Cellular telephone use and risk of acoustic neuroma. epidemiol.
By: Christensen HC, Schüz J, Kosteljanetz M, Poulsen HS, Thomsen J, Johansen C
Published in: Am J Epidemiol 2004; 159 (3): 277 - 283 (full-text
| Journal website
Aim of study (according to author)
The possible association between cellular telephone use and the risk of acoustic neuroma was investigated in this Danish nationwide population-based case-control study.
The study is part of the INTERPHONE project. Regular use of mobile phone was defined as more than one call per week for 6 months or more.
Endpoint/type of risk estimation
Estimate of incidence
by odds ratio
- mobile phone, personal exposure
- type of exposure: personal
- assessment by interview (regular use, number of different cell phones, number of calls, use of handset and handsfree set)
- assessment by calculation (lifetime number of calls, lifetime number of hours of use)
groups of exposure:
|Reference group 1: || never used or less than once per week for six month |
|group 2: || use regularly |
|group 3: || time since first regular use never or rarely used < 1 year |
|group 4: || time since first regular use 1-4 year |
|group 5: || time since first regular use ≥ 5 year |
|group 6: || time since first regular use 5-9 year |
|group 7: || time since first regular use ≥ 10 year |
|group 8: || first telephone operating system: no information |
|group 9: || first telephone operating system: analogue |
|group 10: || first telephone operating system: digital |
|group 11: || lifetime cumulative number of calls ≤ 2975 |
|group 12: || lifetime cumulative number of calls > 2975-11500 |
|group 13: || lifetime cumulative number of calls > 11500 |
|group 14: || lifetime cumulative hours of use ≤ 167.5 |
|group 15: || lifetime cumulative hours of use > 167.5-654 |
|group 16: || lifetime cumulative hours ofuse > 654 |
|group 17: || cumulative use before diagnosis < 5 years |
|group 18: || cumulative use before diagnosis ≥ 5 years (≤ 81.7 hours) |
|group 19: || cumulative use before diagnosis ≥ 5 years (> 81.7 hours) |
- case group
men and women, aged from 20 to 69 years
diagnosis: acoustic neuroma, primarily verified by magnetic resonance imaging
observation period: September 2000 - August 2002
study location: Denmark
source of data: Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Gentofte Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
exclusion criteria: deceased
- control group
matching: sex, age, 1:2 (case:control)
Further parameters acquired by interview (hearing loss, tinnitus
, education level)
|Study size || cases || controls |
|number eligible ||141||332|
|number contacted ||106||214|
|number participating ||106||212|
: socioeconomic status
Statistical analysis using conditional logistic regression (adjusted for age, sex, residential area, education, marital status, use of hands-free device)
Results/conclusion (according to author)
The results showed no evidence for an association between cellular telephone use and the risk of acoustic neuroma.
(Study character: epidemiological study, case-control study)
Study funded by
- Danish Cancer Society
- European Union (EU)/European Commission
- International Union against Cancer (UICC; Union Internationale Contre le Cancer), Switzerland
Published comments on this article:
- Pettersson D et al. (2014): Long-term Mobile Phone Use and Acoustic Neuroma Risk.
- Moon IS et al. (2014): Association between vestibular schwannomas and mobile phone use.
- Coureau G et al. (2014): Mobile phone use and brain tumours in the CERENAT case-control study.
- Benson VS et al. (2013): Mobile phone use and risk of brain neoplasms and other cancers: prospective...
- Hardell L et al. (2013): Pooled analysis of case-control studies on acoustic neuroma diagnosed 1997-2003...
- Hardell L et al. (2013): Use of mobile and cordless phones and survival of patients with glioma.
- Söderqvist F et al. (2012): Use of wireless phones and the risk of salivary gland tumours: a case-control...
- Frei P et al. (2011): Use of mobile phones and risk of brain tumours: update of Danish cohort study.
- INTERPHONE Study Group et al. (2011): Acoustic neuroma risk in relation to mobile telephone use: Results of the...
- Schüz J et al. (2011): Long-Term Mobile Phone Use and the Risk of Vestibular Schwannoma: A Danish...
- Cardis E et al. (2011): Risk of brain tumours in relation to estimated RF dose from mobile phones:...
- Sato Y et al. (2011): A case-case study of mobile phone use and acoustic neuroma risk in Japan.
- INTERPHONE Study Group et al. (2010): Brain tumour risk in relation to mobile telephone use: results of the...
- Hardell L et al. (2009): Epidemiological evidence for an association between use of wireless phones and...
- Hardell L et al. (2009): Mobile phones, cordless phones and the risk for brain tumours.
- Lahkola A et al. (2008): Meningioma and mobile phone use--a collaborative case-control study in five...
- Hardell L et al. (2008): Meta-analysis of long-term mobile phone use and the association with brain...
- Sadetzki S et al. (2008): Cellular phone use and risk of benign and malignant parotid gland tumors--a...
- Schlehofer B et al. (2007): Environmental risk factors for sporadic acoustic neuroma (Interphone Study...
- Klaeboe L et al. (2007): Use of mobile phones in Norway and risk of intracranial tumours.
- Lahkola A et al. (2007): Mobile phone use and risk of glioma in 5 North European countries.
- Blettner M et al. (2007): Handy und Gehirntumor - Einzelne Ergebnisse werden aus dem Zusammenhang...
- Lönn S et al. (2006): Mobile phone use and risk of parotid gland tumor.
- Vrijheid M et al. (2006): Validation of short term recall of mobile phone use for the Interphone study.
- Hardell L et al. (2006): Pooled analysis of two case-control studies on use of cellular and cordless...
- Hardell L et al. (2006): Pooled analysis of two case-control studies on the use of cellular and cordless...
- Schüz J et al. (2006): Cellular telephone use and cancer risk: update of a nationwide Danish cohort.
- Schoemaker MJ et al. (2005): Mobile phone use and risk of acoustic neuroma: results of the Interphone...
- Hardell L et al. (2005): Case-Control Study on Cellular and Cordless Telephones and the Risk for...
- Christensen HC et al. (2005): Cellular telephones and risk for brain tumors: a population-based, incident...
- Lönn S et al. (2004): Mobile Phone Use and the Risk of Acoustic Neuroma.
- Hardell L et al. (2003): Further aspects on cellular and cordless telephones and brain tumours.
- Hardell L et al. (2002): Case-control study on the use of cellular and cordless phones and the risk for...
- Muscat JE et al. (2002): Handheld cellular telephones and risk of acoustic neuroma.
- Johansen C et al. (2001): Cellular telephones and cancer--a nationwide cohort study in Denmark.
- Inskip PD et al. (2001): Cellular-telephone use and brain tumors.
- Muscat JE et al. (2000): Handheld cellular telephone use and risk of brain cancer.
- Cardis E et al. (1999): International Case-Control Study of Adult Brain, Head and Neck Tumours: Results...
Glossary: acoustic neuroma
, brain tumor
, case-control study
, cellular telephone
, conditional logistic regression
, Interphone project
, magnetic resonance imaging
, socioeconomic status
, tinnitusExposure: mobile phone
, personal exposure