KeywordsThe keyword search is used to browse for articles with certain words or set expressions.
Type a keyword or a set expression with quotation marks into the search field. You can choose one of the displayed suggestions. If you want to search for a set expression with more than one word, for example “power line”, set quotation marks for the whole expression.
You can choose whether the search should look for articles containing all of your keywords (AND function) or one of the keywords (OR function).
If your keyword is included in the glossary, it will be translated and synonyms will be added to the search. For example, if you search for “mobile phone”, you will get results with the terms “Handy” or “cell phones”.
AuthorsThe author search refers to the surname and the initials of the first names. The initials are optional.
If you are looking for articles from more than one author, type a comma between the names. The search looks for articles from all the authors with help of the AND function.
For example “Müller, Schmitz TS” finds articles by both authors only.
JournalIt is possible to search for the journal name or the abbreviation of the journal, for example “Radiation Research” or “Radiat Res”.
YearsYou can choose a certain year or a period in which the articles were published. Separate the years with commas and set a hyphen between the years for a period. Combinations are also possible, for example “2001, 2003”, “2005-2012” or “2001, 2003, 2005-2012”.
Time spanThe time span refers to the article's date of entry into the database. Old articles can be found if they have been added only recently.
TopicsArticles in the EMF-Portal are assigned one of the following topics:
- Experimental studies: this topic contains experimental in vitro and in vivo studies, which were mostly realized in a research laboratory. Furthermore, this topic contains observational studies without an explicit epidemiological approach. Often detailed summaries of the articles are available.
- Epidemiological studies: this topic contains population studies, for example, case control and cohort studies. Often detailed summaries of the articles are available.
- Electromagnetic interference: this topic contains articles referring to electromagnetic interference of electronic implants (for example, pacemakers) or medical devices (for example, ECG).
- Technical/dosimetric studies: this topic contains articles that deal with technical or dosimetric aspects, for example, studies which evaluate measuring methods, collect measuring values, present exposure structures or perform a simulation for exposure.
- Medical applications: this topic contains articles dealing with therapeutic effects of electromagnetic fields or electricity, for example, TMS or tDCS.
- Electrical injuries: this topic contains articles referring to clinical studies on electrical injuries, studies containing statistics of electrical injuries and studies on electrical injuries of animals. For the clinical studies, there are short summaries on the kind of injury, the number of concerned persons and the electricity parameters (for example, voltage, source of exposure).
- Laws, recommendations, guidelines: This topic contains national and international laws and guidelines of authorities, expert groups and expert panels. All articles of this topic are available as short summaries. Usually there are links to the original publications.
- Reviews, surveys and summaries: this topic contains reviews, i.e. publications which collect and evaluate results of other studies with a specific objective. There are descriptions of the general subjects (type of exposure and endpoint) which are considered in the articles available.
- Risk communication: this topic contains articles which refer to the process of risk communication or risk perception in relation to the topic of electromagnetic fields. The articles of this topic are summarized in note form
- Other: this topic contains articles which do not fit into one of the other topics. For example, comments, research reports or articles written in a language other than German or English.
Frequency rangeAll publications in the EMF-Portal are classified according to the examined frequency range.
- Radio frequency (≥ 10 MHz): this category contains articles concerning the radio frequency range. It contains articles concerning only radio frequency as well as articles concerning additional frequency ranges. Moreover, this category contains all articles related to mobile communications.
- Mobile phone related frequencies: this category contains publications about mobile communications such as GSM, UMTS and TETRA.
- Low frequency (< 10 MHz): this category contains articles concerning the low frequency range. It contains articles concerning only low frequency as well as articles concerning additional frequency ranges. Moreover, this category contains all articles related to power line frequencies.
- Power line frequencies (50/60 Hz): this category contains publications about power line frequencies.
- Direct current/static fields (DC): this category contains articles concerning direct current and static fields.